Last Updated: January 10, 2023
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in Prairie Island Indian Community (“Prairie Island,” “we,” “our,” or “us”). This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, store, use, and disclose information about you when you use prairieisland.org (the “Site”) and other services that link to this Privacy Notice (collectively, the “Service”). Please note that this Privacy Notice does not cover or apply to our processing of information about our employees or independent contractors. Please ensure that you have read this Privacy Notice and understood how we collect, store, use and disclose your personal information before accessing or using the Service.
- Information We Collect AND How We USE IT
Information That You Provide
We may collect personal information from you when you use our Service. The categories of information we collect can include:
- Account Login. If you use the member portal on the Site, then we will collect information such as your name, tribal ID number, username and password, and other profile information that you choose to provide (if any).
- Payment Information. If you use the Service to pay Prairie Island for fees such as Prairie Island Police Department citations, Tribal Court fees, or event registration fees, then we or our designated third-party payment processor will collect your payment card information and related payment details.
- Form Details. If you submit a form on our Site, then we will collect the information you provide in that form. For example, if you submit a donation request form, then we will collect the information you choose to submit in that form, such as your name, organization, phone number, mailing address, email address, tribal affiliation, and other donation request details.
- Inquiries and Feedback. If you contact us, we will collect the information that you provide us, such as your contact information and the contents of your communication with us. We use this information to investigate and respond to your inquiries, to communicate with you, to enhance the services we offer to our users, and to manage our Service.
- Emails. If you sign up to receive news or alerts from us, we collect your email and applicable interests and communication preferences in order to send you regular updates about the Service. We use this information to manage our communications with you and send you information about products and services we think may be of interest to you. If you wish to stop receiving email messages from us, please see the Control Over Your Information section below.
Information from Third Parties
We may also receive personal information about you from:
- Partners and Service Providers. We may receive your personal information from our partners or service providers. These third parties may include our technology providers, payment processors, social networks, and website operators. The information may include contact information, demographic information, interests, information about your educational and professional history. We use this information to administer and facilitate our Service.
Social Media. When you interact with our Service through social media sites including Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, or YouTube, such as when you follow us on a social media site, or post a comment to one of our pages, we may receive information from the social network such as your profile information, profile picture, gender, user name, user ID associated with your social media account, age range, language, country, and any other information you permit the social network to share with third parties. The data we receive may be dependent upon your privacy settings with the social network. We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service, as well as to communicate directly with you.
Information from Other Sources. We may obtain information from other sources, such as third-party information providers, and combine this with information we have about you. In these cases, our Privacy Notice governs the handling of the combined personal information. We use this information to operate, maintain, and provide to you the features and functionality of the Service, to better understand the demographics of the individuals with whom we interact, as well as to communicate directly with you.
Other Uses of Personal Information
In addition to the uses described above, we may collect, use, process, combine, retain and store personal information and information that we collect or receive for a variety of purposes, including the following:
- For our day-to-day activities, including to operate the Service and to provide you with the features and functionality of the Service, and to authenticate your account;
- To verify your payment in connection with subscription or other paid portions of the Service;
- To communicate with you and respond to your requests, such as to respond to your questions, contact you about changes to the Service, and communicate about account related matters;
- For analytics and research purposes;
- To enforce this Privacy Notice and our Terms of Service, to resolve disputes, to carry out our obligations and enforce our rights, and to protect our interests and the interests and rights of third parties;
- To comply with contractual and legal obligations and requirements;
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide personal information; and
- For any other lawful purpose, or other purpose that you consent to.
- HOW WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may also share, transmit, disclose, grant access to, make available, and provide personal information with and to third parties, as described below.
- Service Providers. We share personal information with third party service providers who perform services on our behalf, such as our payment processors and technology providers (including technology support providers, email communications providers, analytics providers, data storage providers, and web and video hosting providers and developers).
- Regulatory or Legal Requirements, Safety and Terms Enforcement. Third parties to respond or comply with, in our sole discretion, a court order, subpoena, law enforcement or other government request (with or without notice to you, in our discretion) under applicable law. We may also disclose your personal information to third parties, in our discretion, to: (i) satisfy any applicable law or regulation, (ii) enforce this Privacy Notice, including the investigation of potential violations thereof, (iii) investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations, or (iv) protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of us, the Service, other Service users, or third parties (including financial loss, or in connection with preventing fraud or illegal activity, and/or to enforce our Terms of Service);
- At Your Request or With Your Consent. We may disclose your information publicly or with another third party at your request or with your prior authorization; and
- Anonymized Data. We may also share your information with third parties in the aggregate or stripped of personally identifying characteristics.
We, and our third-party partners, automatically collect information about you and any computer or device you use to access the Service, read our emails, or otherwise engage with us. Some of the information we collect, and ways we collect it, include:
- Cookies. When you use or visit the Service, we may send one or more cookies — small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters — to your computer or device that allows us to uniquely identify your browser, computer, or device. A cookie may also convey other information to us, such as: your Internet Protocol (“IP”) address; unique device identifiers; your browser settings and specification; and information about how you use the Service (e.g., the pages you view, the links you click, features and functionalities you utilize, how frequently you access the Service, and other actions you take on the Service). Cookies also allow us to track your usage of the Service over time.
- Log Files. We may record log file information each time you access the Service. This information may include information such as: your requests or actions; IP address; browser type; unique device identifiers; information about your computer or device; number of clicks; how you interact with links, features, or functionalities on the Service; and other such information.
- Clear Gifs. We may employ clear gifs (also known as web beacons or pixel tags) which may collect information about you, your computer or device such as: your requests or actions; IP address; unique device identifiers; browser type; information about your computer or device; how you interact with links, features, or functionalities of the Service; information about cookies; all of which can show your Service usage patterns.
- Analytics. We may collect analytics data, or use third-party analytics tools, including Google Analytics, to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the sites and to understand more about the demographics of our users. For more information on how Google uses data when you use our partners' sites or apps, visit: https://policies.google.com/technologies/partner-sites.
We use or may use the data collected through tracking technologies to: (a) remember information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Service; (b) provide custom, personalized content and information, including targeted content; (c) identify you across multiple devices; (d) provide and monitor the effectiveness of our Service; (e) monitor aggregate metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, usage, and demographic patterns on our Service; (f) diagnose or fix technology problems; and (g) otherwise to plan for and enhance our Service.
If you would prefer not to accept cookies, most browsers will allow you to: (i) change your browser settings to notify you when you receive a cookie, which lets you choose whether or not to accept it; (ii) disable existing cookies; or (iii) set your browser to automatically reject cookies. Please note that doing so may negatively impact your experience using the Service, as some features and services on our Service may not work properly. Depending on your mobile device and operating system, you may not be able to delete or block all cookies. You may also set your e-mail options to prevent the automatic downloading of images that may contain technologies that would allow us to know whether you have accessed our e-mail and performed certain functions with it.
Our Service may also include social media features, such as those from the following services: Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Youtube. These social media companies may recognize you and collect information about your visit to our Service, and they may set a cookie or employ other tracking technologies. Your interactions with those features are governed by the privacy notices of those companies.
- CONTROL OVER YOUR INFORMATION
If you have any questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting your information, you can contact us using the details set out below. We may not be able to modify or delete your information in all circumstances.
- Links to Third-Party Websites and Services
For your convenience, our Service may provide links to third-party websites or services that we do not own or operate. We are not responsible for the practices employed by any websites or services linked to or from the services, including the information or content contained within them. Your browsing and interaction on any other website or service are subject to the applicable third party’s rules and notices, not ours. If you are using a third-party website or service, you do so at your own risk. We encourage you to review the privacy notices of any site or service before providing any personal information.
- Children’s Privacy
Our Service is not intended for individuals under 13 years of age. As such, and in accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act, we do not knowingly solicit or collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we learn that any personal information has been collected inadvertently from a child under 13, we will delete the information as soon as possible. If you believe that we might have collected information from a child under 13, please contact us using the details set out below.
- Updates to This Privacy Notice
We reserve the right to change this Privacy Notice from time to time in our sole discretion. We will notify you about material changes in the way we treat personal information by emailing you, by placing a prominent notice on our Site, or through other appropriate communication channels. It is your responsibility to review this Privacy Notice periodically. When we do change the Privacy Notice, we will also revise the “last modified” date.
- Contact Us
If have questions about this Privacy Notice or our privacy practices, please contact us at Privacy@piic.org or at:
Prairie Island Indian Community
5636 Sturgeon Lake Road
Welch, MN 55089